Location: Perth, Trinity Residential College / The University of Western Australia
Australia hosts the SKA pathfinders ASKAP and MWA, and will host the SKA1-Low. Australia participates in and leads a number of major SKA Science Working Groups. While the SKA Observatory is responsible for the generation of calibrated data products, advanced data products, like spectra or science grade catalogues, are within the scope of SKA Regional Centres (SRC). The data volume of surveys and also the sizes of individual observatory-provided data products will be too large to be served via the traditional download model. Data-centric or in-archive processing that minimise the movement of data are the preferred models for science data analysis as part of SRC. The data products need to be curated and served according to SKA policies. Multi-messenger data may need to be co-located and co-processed. Distributed science teams will need new tools, methods, frameworks and algorithms to maximise the scientific productivity.
This by invitation only workshop focused on:
- Overviewing the current activities, science and technical projects that are within the scope of SRC.
- Developing the high level requirements and a roadmap for Australian SRC, with an initial focus on data from the Australian precursors (MWA and ASKAP).
- Discussing collaboration models and common goals of Australian SRC with other SRCs around the globe, especially in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Learning from the international regional science centres of other large science projects around the world.
The workshop scope includes:
- Science with SKA pathfinders and precursors;
- Science work and data flows, algorithms and software required to enable precursor and SKA science;
- Data stewardship, inspection, data discovery, VO, data publishing;
- Collaborative data processing, data analysis, and software;
- Multi-wavelength studies, cross-matching, classification, feature detection;
Minh Huynh (chair) – ICRAR/CASS
Baerbel Koribalski – CASS
Peter Quinn – ICRAR
Sarah Pearce – CASS
George Heald – CASS
Slava Kitaeff – ICRAR/CASS
Stuart Wyithe – University of Melbourne
Cath Trott – ICRAR
Slava Kitaeff (chair) – ICRAR/CASS
Chen Wu – ICRAR
Lisa Randall – ICRAR
Tracey O’Keefe – ICRAR
Andreas Wicenec – ICRAR
Juan-Carlos Guzman – CASS
Aidan Hotan – CASS